Cinnamon is used in cooking not only for its flavor but its various health benefits. In India cinnamon is an essential spice, people have been using it for hundreds of years. Cinnamon has a delicate flavor and is used in both sweet and savory dishes. This spice is popularly used in Asian and Middle Eastern cooking to flavor lamb, aubergine, rice dishes, curries and more. Cinnamon is part of a mixed spice powder ‘garam masala’ used widely in Indian cooking.
- As an ingredient in homemade cakes and biscuits
- Sprinkle on apple crumble or pie
- Use in a recipe for mulled wine
- Cinnamon yoghurt or ice cream
- Sprinkle on cereals or hot chocolate
- Boil a cinnamon stick with warm milk for medicinal purposes
- Added to chopped fruits and rice dishes
- Cinnamon tea is a popular drink combined with honey for treating various illnesses
- Use in hot meat dishes or Indian rice ‘pulao’ dishes
- Ground cinnamon is a great addition to fruit desserts which use apples, prunes, pears and apricots
- French or cinnamon toast is a popular breakfast dish used all over the world that requires a sprinkling of cinnamon over bread dipped in beaten eggs and fried.
- Freshly, fried doughnuts acquire an interesting taste when sugar and cinnamon are sprinkled over them
- Rice puddings and other desserts could incorporate cinnamon
- It is a popular marinade for beef or lamb.
- Ground cinnamon offers a unique taste when added to black beans in a nachos or burritos recipe