- 2 boneless & skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontilly (i.e. 4 cutlets)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. Spice Bouquet California Sea Salt – or- regular table salt
- ¼ tsp. Spice Bouquet Ground Black Pepper
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp. Extra- Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp. Fresh or bottled lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock (½ tsp.Spice Bouquet Chicken
- 3 tbsp. brined capers (bottled)
- Soup Base and ½ cup water)-or-1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 thin slices of fresh lemon
- 5 tbsp. Spice Bouquet Parsley Flakes or fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
Method of Preparation:
1. Season the cutlets with the salt and pepper
2. Dredge the cutlets in the flour and shake off excess flour
3. Heat a large frying pan or saute pan to medium high heat. Add 3 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil & 2 tbsp. of the butter.
4. When the oil & butter mix starts to sizzle, add the floured cutlets. Sear the cutlets for 3 minutes on one side until nicely browned. Then turn the cutlets over and sear that side for 3 minutes. Do not crowd the cutlets in the frying pan. If necessary cook the cutlets 2-3 cutlets at a time, adding 3 tablespoons of olive oil & 2 tbsp. of butter with each batch.
5. Remove the cutlets from the frying pan when each batch is done. Transfer the cutlets to an oven safe platter and hold in a pre-heated 180 degree oven, but – Do not clean the frying pan.
6. Add the lemon juice, the chicken stock or the dry white wine, and the capers to the frying pan. Bring the frying pan up to a boil, scraping the brown bits with a spatula from the pan for added flavor. Reduce the volume of the sauce by half.
7. Check the sauce for flavor and adjust as desired, e.g. a little more salt or pepper; a little more lemon juice, etc.
8. Add the chicken cutlets to the frying pan and place a lemon slice on each cutlet. Let the cutlets simmer in the sauce for 5 mins.
9. Remove the cutlets from the frying pan and place them on your serving platter.
10. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to the sauce in the frying pan and whisk vigorously. Pour the sauce over the cutlets and garnish with the parsley.
Serving Suggestions: Serve the Chicken Piccata with a serving of Farfalle Pasta and Sautéed Zucchini & Yellow Squash dish.
Yield: 4 servings