- 1 package (18.25 oz.) Yellow Cake Mix
- ¾ Cup (6 oz.) Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 (11 oz.) can Mandarin Oranges, drained
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 (32 oz.) container Regular Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese – not low fat.
- 1 (8 oz.) package Regular Cream Cheese, softened – not low fat.
- 1 tsp. Spice Bouquet Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- ¼ Cup Miniature Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted Butter or 3 Tablespoons Margarine, softened
- 3 tbsp. Regular Whole Milk
- 1 ¾ Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- ¾ tsp. Spice Bouquet Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 10-12 whole from jar Cherries, rinsed and dried off
Method of Preparation:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- Mix the Yellow cake mix, the vegetable oil, the eggs and the drained mandarin oranges in a large bowl with an electric mixer at Medium speed until well blended – about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. (Layers will be thin) Bake at 350° F. for 23 to 25 minutes – or – until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of each cake layer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes; then take a regular kitchen knife and run it around the inside of the cake tins to be sure the cakes are released. Place a wire rack on top of each cake pan, invert it, and tap it. The cake should release easily from the can onto the wire rack. Let the cakes cool completely on the racks for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at Low speed, beat and blend the Ricotta cheese, the cream cheese, and the vanilla extract, and Confectioner’s Sugar until smooth. Stir the ¼ cup of Mini Chocolate chips into the blend.
- In a small bowl, with the mixer at Medium speed, beat the 3 Tbsp. of softened butter or margarine, the 3 Tbsp. of regular milk, the 1 ¾ C of Confectioners’ Sugar, and the ¾ tsp. of Vanilla Extract until the blend is smooth. If necessary, add a little more regular milk until the mixture has an easy spreading consistency.
- In a large bowl, using the same beaters and the mixer at Medium speed; beat the two (2) Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the Confectioners’ Sugar mixture into the whipped cream gently.
- Place one cake round on a cake plate. Spread a generous amount of the filling (about half) on the bottom cake round. Spread the filling out evenly over the entire cake.
- Place the second layer on top of the filling.
- Spread a generous amount of the filling on the second layer. Spreading out the filling to the edges of the cake. You want the filling to be thick. Place the 3rd layer cake on top of the filling.
- Spread the frosting mix generously over the top and down the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate the Cannoli Cake until the filling is firm – about 3 hours.
- Just before you serve the Cannoli Cake, place the whole Cherries, rinsed and dried off, evenly spaced around the top of the cake near the outside border.
Yield: 12 servings